Friday, January 4, 2013

Prep the front suspension

(I sure wish I had some idea what I am doing with this "blog" thing... way over my 56/56 head!)

OK, today I prepped the front springs, hangers and bushings.  Thought it was a 30 minute job and ended up 2+ hours.  Needed to remove the centering pins and replace with a taller version.  It turns out that the longer spring causes the axle to rotate slightly and to compensate, I need to insert a 4 degree wedge between the spring and the seat.  The standard centering pins don't make it far enough above the wedge to ensure a secure fit into the saddle on the axle. (get that?)  So here are a few pictures of that farce, showing the pins and my anal retentive need to paint everything.

Removing the old bolt

Difference in head sizes


The new bolts after cutting and painting

(out of order) Before cutting and painting

New taller centering pin installaed

No comments: