Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Back By Popular Demand... Photos!

So, there were a few things I left out of the last post.  For the casual readers, it might not have been obvious what the "Spring Shims" are and what they do.

So, before I show you some photos of the truck as it is today, here is an illustration of how the shims are used.



So, in the rear, I had installed the wedges in such a way that the angle of the rear differential pinion was perfectly horizontal (where I believed it should be, based on this illustration) but the angle with the rear drive shaft was too steep.  The vibration I felt was the u-joint screaming for help.  Luckily I dis not do any damage to my brand new bearings!  The shop reversed the wedges and the pinion now tilts up more in line with the drive shaft.

In the front, the wedges were also keeping the pumpkin horizontal, but at the same time (and really I do not have a complete explanation) it was causing a 1.9 degree positive camber as shown here:



Wih the camber as seen, each and every ridge in the road was catching the front end and tossing it to the opposite side.  reversing the direction of the shims both improved the angle to the front drive and corrected (than goodness) the camber.

Now, without further adieu...






















No comments: